Can you realize it has been almost 29 years since Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates," while perched on that bench? The slow-moving yet endearing Tom Hanks persona first appeared on July 6, 1994, and quickly won our hearts. In addition to being a box office success, the movie received high praise from critics and was nominated for 13 additional Oscars in addition to winning the Best Picture Oscar that year.
We've compiled 10 of our favorite Forrest Gump lines to honor this timeless film, which is unquestionably among the finest of the 1990s. They range from Jenny and shrimp to the iconic jogging phrase to, of course, mother and that box of chocolates.
1. Forrest: [running] I had run for 3 years, 2 months, 14 days, and 16 hours.
[he stops and turns around]
Young Man Running: Quiet, quiet! He's gonna say something!
Forrest: I'm pretty tired... I think I'll go home now.
2. "I never thanked you for saving my life." - Lieutenant Dan
3. Forrest: What's my destiny, Mama?
Mrs. Gump: You're gonna have to figure that out for yourself.
4. "One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We have been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night..." - Forrest
5. "Bubba was my best good friend. And even I know that ain't something you can find just around the corner. Bubba was going to be a shrimping boat captain, but instead, he died right there by that river in Vietnam." - Forrest
6. "Me and Jenny goes together like peas and carrots." - Forrest
7. "The best thing about visiting the President is the food! Now, since it was all free, and I wasn't hungry but thirsty, I must've drunk me fifteen Dr. Peppers." - Forrest
8. "Stupid is as stupid does." - Forrest Gump
9. "My mama always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.'" -Forrest
10. "My Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on." - Forrest